Team Counselor Position Description
(Sunday 3:00 p.m. through Saturday 10:30 a.m.)
Duties and Responsibilities
- Strive to achieve Habits for Life program objectives and adhere to policies and procedures.
- Work directly with, take direction from, and report to coordinators and Camp Director.
- Work responsibly to ensure the safety and well-being of each participant.
- Have a proficient knowledge of the Habits for Life program and the ability to give clear direction and provide feedback to counselors regarding their responsibilities and job performance.
- Organize and execute various aspects and activities of the program.
- Act as a liaison between camp coordinators and dorm counselors.
- Support counselors in maintaining their personal well-being; provide supervision and help in all aspects of their duties.
- Help in the training of counselors.
- Guide counselors in appropriate associations with program participants.
- Complete specified duties, including evaluations, on time and as directed.
- Must be available to work both camp sessions.
- Must be available for various camp planning meetings.
- Work with program administrators and staff in presenting a counselor training meeting on Saturday July 9, 2016, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Have an understanding of, and the ability to successfully model, Stephen R. Covey’s 7 Habits.
- Stay in campus housing and be available as needed 24-7 during camp session.
- Current driver's license
- Cell phone accessibility during camp session.
- Be willing to accept as a condition of employment compliance with the Church Educational System Honor Code, Dress and Grooming Standards and Residential Living Standards.
- Receive approval through the BYU Ecclesiastical Office clearance process.
- Be at least 20 years old by July 10, 2016.
- Be no more than 28 years old by September 1, 2016.
- Have previous camp counselor experience.
- Have previous leadership experience and be a role model for coworkers and participants.
- Be able to work well independently and as a team member with minimal supervision.
- Be dependable, teachable, friendly, and accountable.
- Relate well and enjoy working with youth.
- Work well under pressure.
- If hired, must be able to legally work in the United States of America.
- Criminal background checks will be performed on applicants hired for this position.